Since it has no cholesterol and helps regulate the blood sugar level, spinach is a healthy choice for your diet. Moreover, spinach is rich in a variety of nutrients which can combat different types of cancers. More details below after the recipe.
Lamb in Spinach Curry Recipe:
No of servings: 4-6 persons
- 500g boneless lamb, cut into small pieces
- 500g fresh spinach; trimmed and washed
Spices & Condiments
- Ginger/Garlic paste (1tsp)
- Turmeric powder (½tsp)
- Curry powder (2tbs)
- Cumin powder (1tsp)
- Chilli powder (½tsp)
- Tomatoes (qty=4); Fresh, skinned and chopped
- Onion (qty=1); peeled and sliced
- Olive oil (4tbs)
- Salt to taste
- Basil leaves (qty=3)
The Tasty and Healthy Secret (which makes the difference)
- Fresh spinach (quantity as above)
The Directions (in Easy steps)
- Put some water to boil in a saucepan then add the spinach
- Let boil for 10 minutes; then strain, chop and keep aside
- Fry the sliced onion and meet for about 5 minutes
- Add the ginger/garlic paste, turmeric powder, curry powder, cumin powder, chilli powder, the basil leaves and 3 tablespoon of water
- Stir-fry gently for about 3 minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes and some salt.
- Continue frying for about 15 minutes until the oil separates and rises to the surface.
- Add a glass of water, cover and let simmer until the meat is done
- Add the chopped spinach together with some more salt and stir well
- Cover and let cook till the spinach is well puréed
When you want to enjoy a little green in your sandwich, try considering some spinach leaves instead of the usual lettuce. They are more tasty and healthy.
Health Benefits of Spinach:
Spinach is one of the healthiest green vegetables that contains some of the best nutrients required to help fight against diseases.
- The flavonoid antioxidant in spinach helps combat breast cancer, stomach and skin cancer.
- The carotenoids in spinach may prevent cancer of the ovary and the prostate.
- Spinach also helps to improve cardiovascular health; as its antioxidants help to prevent the oxidation of cholesterol, which is not good for the arteries and the heart.
- In addition the nutrients in spinach can also regulate blood pressure and reduce risk of strokes.
- Spinach also helps in maintaining a good blood sugar level, therefore a good choice in the diet of diabetics.
- Furthermore, the nutrients it contains help in the protection of the skin from the harmful Ultra-Violet rays of the sun. As such it can combat the effect of aging of the skin.
- The Beta-carotenes in spinach improves the health of the eyes.
- Spinach also helps in the building of red blood cells.
Spinach is full of vital nutrients. In addition to those mentioned above, it contains the following vitamins and minerals.
- Vitamins A and C
- Iron, Magnesium, potassium, zinc and calcium
- It also contains folic acid, protein and a significant amount of dietary fibre.
However, spinach also contains oxalic acid which may not be good for kidney and gallbladder patients. So you need to consult your doctor before adding spinach in your diet if you have kidney and gallbladder problems.